Helping Great Britain work well: A new health and safety system strategy
We have an unprecedented opportunity to keep building a 21st-century, world-class occupational health and safety system that will help Great Britain work well. If we can all come together to help achieve these things, maintain the gains made in safety, and seize the opportunity to give health the same priority, it will help improve productivity, keep business costs down, help keep workers safe and well, and protect members of the public (2016:3).
Dame Judith Hackitt DBE
The six strategic themes
Acting together: Promoting broader ownership of health and safety in Great Britain.
Tackling ill health: Highlighting and tackling the costs of work-related ill health.
Managing risk well: Simplifying risk management and helping business to grow.
Supporting small employers: Giving SMEs simple advice so they know what they have to do.
Keeping pace with change: Anticipating and tackling new health and safety challenges.
Sharing our success: Promoting the benefits of Great Britain’s world-class health and safety system
● There needs to be broader ownership of health and safety.
● It is important to highlight and tackle the costs of work-related ill health.
● Wider recognition is needed of the business benefits that come with proportionate approaches to risk.
● Too many SMEs are still unaware that straightforward advice and simple guidance is available that
can help them manage their health and safety responsibilities.
● We all need to horizon scan and ‘design-in’ effective risk management of new or emerging technologies
and business models.
● There are benefits for Great Britain and British industries by promoting our health and safety approach
around the world.
Making it happen
● Maintain the gains made in safety, while giving health the same priority.
● Broader ownership of health and safety issues can lead to improved productivity and business benefits,
while protecting workers.
● Collective and concerted action is required by everyone in the system to help Great Britain work well.
National Wellbeing Service
The National Wellbeing Service Ltd supports #HelpGBWorkWell
For further information, please download Help GB Work Well 2016 and/or listen to Dame Judith Hackitt discuss the strategy below.
Video published on 25 Jan 2016
Dame Judith Hackitt’s keynote speech at the health and safety strategy roadshow event in Glasgow.As it prepares to launch a new strategy, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) wants to hear from those involved in managing workplace risks. Join the conversation and help build on the health and safety success story in Great Britain. How can you help improve health and safety in Great Britain and #HelpGBWorkWell?
You can comment below or take part on Twitter via #HelpGBWorkWell
Note: Information on this strategy has been taken from Help GB Work Well 2016 .
Published on 18 Jan 2016
Karen McDonnell discusses the successes achieved in partnership working in Scotland at the HSE health and safety strategy launch event in Glasgow.